Which Plants and Flowers Can Poison Dogs?
With spring here and summer fast approaching, we take a look at which plants can be poisonous to our pooch and what to do if you encounter these plants and flowers.
Can plants poison dogs?
It's easy to forget that some of the plants we see in our gardens and homes might really be harmful to our dogs' health and welfare. They can even be poisoned in some situations, therefore it's crucial to know which types are dangerous. Many common plants have some toxicity or irritant, but they will just give you an unsettled stomach. Others are extremely hazardous, yet they may require significant amounts of consumption to cause major injury.
While we humans realise that we shouldn't consume anything that isn't a food plant, dogs aren't nearly as picky, though some will instinctively avoid plants that are hazardous to them. Even if your dog appears to be well, you should seek medical help if you fear he or she has consumed a dangerous plant. You should also try to take a sample of the plant to the veterinarian.
Some of the most common home and garden plants that are harmful to dogs, according to the Kennel Club, the UK's biggest organisation dedicated to canine care, include:
- Amaryllis bulbs
- Asparagus fern
- Daffodil bulbs
- Day lilies
- Lily of the valley
- Morning glory
- Rhubarb leaves
- Sweet pea
- Tulip bulbs
- Umbrella plant
Always keep a close eye on your dogs when you are out and about, especially in warmer weather, you never know what they may fancy a nibble or a chew on when you have your back turned.
If they do digest anything you think they shouldn’t have, make sure to take them to a vet as soon as possible and try and get a sample of the plant or flower in question you think they have swallowed.